Shrimp tacos! You had me at tacos. Our family loves a good Mexican food night and when we came across this recipe from Wicked Paleo we were able to replicate this goodness on the first try. The recipe is simple and the bang bang sauce is to die for. We use it on a lot more than just tacos. This is a great way to switch up taco night and still taste amazing. Maybe even include some margarhittas with it because you deserve it. Check it out and let me know what you think!
Bang Bang Sauce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3.5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Pinch of salt
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, for frying
- 1 cup nappa cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Pinch of salt
- To make the sweet chili sauce combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thickened. Let cool then mix with the mayonnaise and Sriracha.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded Napa cabbage, shredded red cabbage, minced cilantro, and green onions. Toss with the 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon honey and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- To make the tortillas combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat and add a bit of coconut oil or butter to the pan. Pour in 1/5 of the batter at a time and spread out into about a 6" circle. Allow to cook 1-2 minutes then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. The tortillas should be soft and foldable but golden brown. Repeat until you have 5 tortillas and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and melt the coconut oil. Toss shrimp with tapioca until covered and place in skillet. Fry 2 minutes until golden, flip and fry another 2-3 minutes until cooked through and crispy. Toss with Bang Bang sauce.
- To assemble place slaw in tortilla and top with shrimp and a drizzle of Sriracha if desired.