Homemade Roasted Tomato Soup
- 3lb Roma tomatoes (about 9 large)
- 1/2 small onion (or less, if you prefer), sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can or 1 2/3 cup cream or coconut milk works too
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Halve tomatoes and place cut side up with the onion on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and add garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to coat well.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes, just until starting to brown.
- Place in the blender and puree until smooth (you'll want to leave the lid cracked slightly so the steam can escape).
- Add cream, cheese, basil, tomato paste, and coconut sugar and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.
- Serve immediately with grilled cheese for dunking (obviously!).