Clean and delicious Sweet Potato Casserole
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES:
- 4 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed (about 4-5 very large sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
FOR THE PECAN OAT TOPPING:
- 1 1/3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans (unroasted)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish or other 3 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then place them on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until the potatoes are fork tender, about 1 hour or so, depending upon the size of your potatoes. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes. Peel and discard the skins (they should come off easily with your fingers), break the potatoes in large chunks with a fork, then place the chunks into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl.
- While the potatoes bake, pour the almond milk in a small saucepan with vanilla. Bring to a very gentle simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not let the almond milk boil. Remove from heat and let the vanilla steep while the potatoes continue baking.
- Then pour the almond milk and vanilla bean specs into the bowl with the sweet potato chunks. Add the melted coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes together with the milk and spices (or beat gently with a mixer or your paddle attachment or run though a food mill) until fairly smooth with some texture remaining. Taste and add additional salt/pepper as desired. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. With the back of a rubber spatula, press and smooth into a single layer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the topping ingredients: oats, pecans, almond meal, cinnamon, salt, coconut oil, and maple syrup until moist and evenly mixed. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake until the topping is toasted and fragrant and casserole is warmed through, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 crusty loaf, preferably sourdough or Vienna
- ¾ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (or other melting cheese)
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine butter, garlic and salt in a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave. Stir through parsley.
- Cut the bread on a diagonal into 1" diamonds but do not cut all the way through the bread (just like you would cut a french stick for garlic bread).
- Use your fingers or a knife to pry open each crack and drizzle in a teaspoon of butter and stuff in a pinch of cheese. This might sound like a bit of an effort, but I promise you it is worth it! You don't need to be super neat, it's nice to have some of the butter drizzled over the crust.
- Wrap with foil and bake for 15minutes until the cheese has mostly melted, then unwrap and bake for 5 minutes more to make the bread nice and crusty.
- Serve immediately.
Cream Cheese Jalapeño Poppers
- 6 jalapeno peppers (about 8 ounces) sliced lengthwise you can take out as little r as many seeds as you want. Depending on the amount of pice you want to have.
- 6 slices uncured, nitrate/nitrite free bacon cut widthwise in half
- 4 ounces organic cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Add cream cheese to a microwave-safe mixing bowl. Microwave until slightly softened, about 15 seconds. Add cheddar cheese and garlic powder. Mix until combined.
Stuff each pepper half with the cream cheese mixture. Wrap a halved bacon slice around each pepper. Secure with a toothpick as needed.
Place the stuffed peppers in a single layer onto a baking tray.
Bake at 400F until the cheese is starting to brown, about 20 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for a few minutes to crisp up the bacon. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Cheese, Fruit and Meat Platter
- Boursin Cheese
- Stilton Cheese
- sliced pears
- dried apricots
- dried nuts
- variety of crackers
- Group, layer and arrange each ingredient in piles.
Cranberry, Barbeque Meatballs
- 50-60 frozen meatballs store bought or homemade (I love the frozen Costco brand)
- 14 oz can whole cranberry sauce
- 12 oz cocktail sauce , or homemade
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Finely chopped green onions for garnish
Spray the bottom of your slow cooker lightly with cooking spray. Add frozen meatballs to the bottom of pot.
In a large bowl stir together cranberry sauce, cocktail sauce, brown sugar, water, and barbecue sauce and pour over meatballs.
Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
Serve warm garnished with chopped green onions, if desired.
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- 1 whole head of cauliflower , cut into florets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9x9 glass baking dish
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until cauliflower is just fork tender. Do not over cook.
- Drain cauliflower well and place back in pot. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, bring cream to a simmer, stirring well to avoid scorching.
- Whisk in cream cheese and mustard and stir until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup shredded cheese and seasonings.
- Pour over cauliflower and gently mix to combine.
- Place cauliflower in prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned, or about 15 minutes.
- For an extra bubbly topping, broil on high for 2-3 minutes but be sure to watch carefully
Mashed Potato Cheese Bites
- 3 cups leftover (or pre-prepared) mashed potatoes, cold
- 1 1/2 cup Borden shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup cooked bacon crumbles
- 1 block Borden Colby Jack Chunk, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, shredded cheddar, onions, and bacon. Use an ice cream scoop to form 1 inch balls, rolling with your hands to create the shape. Push 1 colby jack cube into the center of each ball, and then re roll the mashed potato mixture around it to make it round again. Place on a plate and repeat with the rest of the mashed potatoes. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- In a shallow bowl, place the egg. In another shallow bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, parmesan, and salt and pepper.
- Start by dipping each ball into the egg mixture, shaking off the excess, and then rolling in the panko mixture. Pat to make sure the panko adheres well and that the mashed potatoes are fully covered. Set back on the plate and set aside.
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven with about 2-3 inches of oil to 375F.
- Carefully drop in the mashed potato balls 3-4 at a time into the hot oil, allowing them to be fully submerged. Use a slotted spoon to lightly stir as they fry to make sure they don't stick to the bottom or sides of the pot. Fry each for 2-3 minutes or until they are fully browned and crispy. Use the slotted spoon to remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining mashed potato balls until they are all fried.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
Parmasean roasted brussel sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Combine brussels sprouts and olive oil in a large zip close bag and shake to coat. Add the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the bag and shake to coat.
- Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet and bake for 15 to 17 minutes until the cheese is melted and the brussels sprouts are lightly browned.
Thyme, Honey Roasted Carrots
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme or parsley
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Heat up an oven-safe skillet and cook the butter on medium heat until it starts to form and turn into golden brown. Add the garlic and quickly saute before adding the carrots. Stir a few times, then add the salt, black pepper, honey and thyme or parsley.
- Transfer the skillet and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots become tender. Serve immediately.