- 1 (15 ounce can) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas), low sodium if you want
- 3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter (or substitute any other nut butter—you can use creamy or crunchy)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, plus additional 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top (we use Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet or 8 x 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, place the chickpeas, oats, peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and milk. Blend until mostly smooth. Remove the lid and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then blend for an additional 2 minutes until very well combined and smooth. The batter will be very sticky and thick. Fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared skillet and sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons chocolate chips over the top. If using a skillet, bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is dry to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with just a few crumbs clinging to it. If using an 8x8-inch pan, begin checking for doneness at 20 minutes. Do not over bake or the cookie will taste dry. Place on a wire rack to cool. Slice and serve.