no-bake vegan cheesecake
NO-BAKE VEGAN “CHEESECAKE”
- 8 medjool dates
- 1 1/2 cups raw macadamia nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts or any combination of these will work, too)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, in liquid state
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (honey would also be really nice, just not vegan)
- 6 tablespoons water (you may want a little more if it is too thick)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries and blueberries or other berries for topping
**DO AHEAD** Soak the cashews overnight the night before you are making this. Soak the dates for about 1 hour before you make the crust.
- Line the bottom of a round 9″ springform pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with the S blade, process (in a food processor) the nuts, salt, coconut, lemon zest and spices until you have an almost flour-like consistency, leaving some bits of the nuts make for a nice texture. Add the dates and pulse until combined into a sticky and chunky mixture. You aren’t looking for this to be smooth, you should still see flecks of dates and the raw nuts.
- Press mixture into the prepared springform pan, then cover with plastic or foil and freeze until ready to use.
- Once the cashews have soaked, discard the soaking water, give them a quick rinse and add the cashews to the container of a high speed blender or food processor. Add the coconut oil, lemon juice, maple syrup (or other sweetener), vanilla and water. If the mixture is too thick, add just a little more water, one teaspoon at a time. It should be a very thick mixture so don’t add too much. Once blended, pour the cashew mixture over the crust and freeze overnight, or until solid.
- When ready to serve, allow the tart to thaw for 15 minutes, then top with freshly sliced strawberries and the blueberries.